Running is great for your physical and mental health, getting you out in the fresh air and giving you a good workout. However, it’s very important to choose the right running shoes to protect your feet, prevent injury and give you the best running experience possible, and we know that the choice can be overwhelming.
When you’re hitting the pavements or running on local trails, you’ll need shoes that are supportive and protective. Foot injuries are very common amongst runners and you need to take care of your feet to ensure you have many more happy years of running! Here at The Edge, we understand what makes a great pair of running shoes and we’re on hand to help you work out what will suit your feet best
Choosing Running Shoes: Top Tips
Investing in a good pair of running shoes is a great way to invest in your health and well-being, and taking the time to get your purchase right is crucial. Whether you’re new to running or have been a keen runner for many years, learning more about your feet and the type of shoes that suit them will be very helpful. Here are our top tips for finding the best running shoes for you:
- Find shoes that fit well. If your running shoes don’t fit well, you’ll end up with blisters and calluses where the fabric rubs against your skin, or you’ll put too much pressure on your bones and ligaments where shoes are too tight. Your shoes should be fitted by a professional so that you can be confident that they are the right size and shape to allow your feet to breathe without rubbing or pressure. Ordering shoes without trying them on is problematic because there is so much variation between brands and styles, and making the right choice will save you many hours of pain and frustration.
- Look for shoes that move with your foot. You are unique, and the way you move your feet will also be unique so it is very important to find shoes that flex or roll in the right way for your feet. Your preferences will be the key factor here, but you may benefit from a gait analysis that gives you a better idea of the way your feet move when you run. The way the foot moves when you walk or run can make a big difference to your choice of footwear, for instance, if your feet are pronated, with your heel striking the ground and turning inwards, you will need more support for the inner foot and arch.
- Find supportive shoes. Running puts a lot of pressure on your feet and the impact with which you strike the ground can cause many injuries, including fractures. It’s vital to find shoes that support your feet in the right way, giving you more support and cushioning where it is needed. The arches of your feet must be correctly supported and well-padded, so finding shoes that offer this support is essential.
Running Shoes We Love:
You know your feet best and you will have preferences that influence your choice when you are looking for running shoes. The terrain you are running on will have an impact on your decisions, since trail shoes are designed specifically for off-road running and have several useful features. Here are our top picks for the different terrains: we know you’ll find something you love!
Men’s running shoes:
- Saucony Men’s Peregrine 13. If you’re running off-road, you’ll love these well-designed trail running shoes with tough grip and great cushioning. With an ultra-lightweight feel, you can run faster and reduce the risk of slipping when you opt for these stylish shoes.
- Brooks Men’s Cascadia 15. The Cascadia is an excellent all-around running shoe, ideal for roads and rough terrain and designed to give you all the comfort, protection and performance you need. It’s engineered for breathability and protection and offers great traction and support on all surfaces.
- Saucony Men’s Switchback ISO. The technology in Saucony Men’s Switchback ISO is impressive, and you’ll notice the way these shoes hug your foot for a flexible and supported running experience. Great for trails, these shoes will ensure you stand out from the crowd with their eye-catching design and your impressive running performance.
- Hoka One Men’s Kawana. If you’re running on roads, you’ll love these great-looking trainers, designed for balance and support. We especially appreciate the bevelled heel that gives you a broader, flatter surface for smoother heel strikes and the new foam that offers solid rebound without putting too much stress on your feet.
- Saucony Men’s Endorphin Speed 3. The Endorphin Speed 3 is designed for runners who want to increase their speed and enjoy the comfort of fully supported feet. These good-looking shoes make the most of Speedroll technology and they’re ultra-light and hug your foot to give you a personalised fit and feel. Ideal for road running, the rubber outsole pattern grips the road better for an even better running experience.
Women’s running shoes:
- Asics Women’s Gel Nimbus 25. The Gel Nimbus is a great choice for road runners, providing maximum comfort and cushioning to protect your feet and keep you feeling great throughout your run. The PureGEL technology gives you a good level of shock absorption to reduce impact and prevent injuries, and these shoes look great, too, so you don’t have to compromise on style or comfort.
- Hoka One Women’s Kawana Summer Song. These great road running shoes from Kawana make use of new foam technology that gives you a solid rebound without packing out and a bevelled heel for smoother heel strikes. Made from vegan materials that guarantee you a smooth run, you’ll love these shoes.
- Brooks Women’s Cascadia 17. Trail runners love these Cascadia shoes and the attractive design is a popular feature. The main focus of this design is stability and soft cushioning, as well as protection from the elements so you can get out running in all weather. Suitable for varied terrain, with outsole pods for uneven ground, you’ll notice the difference straight away.
- Merrell Women’s Agility Peak 4. You’ll love the way these shoes look and feel, offering you optimum cushioning and great grip for running on trails. Designed for maximum protection, these are ideal for even the more rugged trails, so you can enjoy a challenging trail run in comfort.
- Brooks Women’s Cascadia 16. We love this updated style, ideal for wider feet. The design features the Ballistic Rock Shield to protect your feet against rough terrain and loose pebbles without compromising on flexibility and comfort. They’re soft and light and the lighter outsole construction allows the shoe to mould to the ground, creating the perfect option for trail runners.
Protect your feet when you run
Runners are prone to foot injuries and the right shoes can help to prevent these problems. The impact on the feet when you run on hard surfaces can be damaging, and you will find that cushioning in your shoes can protect against this. Runners may also suffer from Morton’s Neuroma, a nerve-related condition that usually begins with unsupportive shoes, as well as ingrown toenails and other conditions that result from shoes that do not fit properly.
It’s vital to look after your feet when you’re running, and you may find that supportive running socks are a great addition to your kit. If you wear breathable socks that contain and protect the foot, you’ll be less susceptible to problems such as Athlete’s Foot, a foot infection that results from wearing the same damp or sweaty shoes on a regular basis. Taking care of your feet will ensure you can keep running in comfort so it’s well worth getting it right!
Running clothing and shoes in Ireland
Here at The Edge, we have all you need to get started with running and we can help you to make great choices for your lifestyle. Whether you’re a marathon runner or you’re planning to begin the Couch to 5K programme, you’ll need good running shoes that will help you enjoy the process.
As well as your running essentials, we are specialists in cycling, swimming and surfing in Ireland, and we’ll be happy to help you explore our range of equipment for your adventures. You can order online or pop in and talk to us at The Edge at Kinsale Road in Cork; contact us at +353 (0)21 432 0522 or visit our website today.