A hybrid bicycle is, as the name implies, a combination bike that combines the best of road bikes and mountain bikes to give you an option that is great for riding on various types of terrain and ideal for many riders. Finding the right hybrid bike for your lifestyle is not always an easy process but if you are looking for a bike that is suitable for use in town or getting out for a comfortable ride on a local forest trail or gravel cycleway, you may find that a hybrid bike is the best option for you.
There are many different types of hybrid bikes that work well for different purposes, including electric bikes that are designed to be used on a range of surfaces and have the option to use the motor to give you an easier ride. Here at The Edge, we love bikes and we know our stuff. We can help you to find the very best option for you and your lifestyle and we’ll always encourage you to try several types of bikes before settling on one. Read on to find out more about hybrid bikes and how to identify exactly what you need from your new bicycle.
Hybrid bikes make anything possible
There’s no need to restrict yourself to one type of bike or terrain and you can have the best of both worlds when you use a hybrid bike that is versatile and adaptable to different types of cycling. If you’re heading to work on urban cycleways or roads, a hybrid bike will give you the comfortable, upright position you need and you’ll have a smooth ride every day. After work and at weekends, however, you can head out for a leisurely bike ride using the same hybrid bicycle and make the most of the opportunity to explore your local area on two wheels.
Hybrid bikes are great for beginners
When you’re starting out in any hobby or sport, it’s a good idea to take your time to find out exactly what equipment will work best before investing a lot of money. A hybrid bike is a great option for beginners as it allows for experimenting with different terrains and distances to see what works best for you. Your preferences will determine your future bicycle purchases, and if you begin with commuting and then fancy trying mountain biking, for instance, you’ll be able to give it a try without breaking the bank on something that may not be a good fit for you.
Electric Hybrid Bikes
An electric hybrid bike is a great option to consider, giving you all the flexibility of a normal hybrid bike but with the added benefit of an electric motor to give you a power boost when you need it. Electric bikes are fast becoming a popular way to get around, especially in cities where a bike is often faster than driving. An electric bike is a great way to get away from the commuter stress and increase your fitness while you explore your local area and even the hills become a breeze when you can switch to using the motor whenever you need to.
An electric bike, or e-bike, is a great investment and will hold its value well. You will soon find that your electric bike opens up exciting options for you to go further afield and tackle more challenging climbs than an unmotorised option, and you can travel 40-70 miles on one battery charge on most new models. We are always happy to help you discover the world of electric bikes and our range includes several excellent options for you to try as we help you to find the best fit for your lifestyle and riding habits.
10 Hybrid bikes we love
At The Edge, we have a great range of hybrid bikes to choose from and we’ll be more than happy to spend time with you as you work out the best option for you. We’ve selected a few of our most popular hybrid bikes here, and you can explore our full range online and in-store.
- Trek District 3 Equipped Hybrid Bike. This is a sleek city model that looks fantastic and feels great to ride, and it’ll help you get to work in style. We love the combination of road and mountain biking features and the result is an easy, versatile ride you’ll love.
- Trek FX 2 Disc Stagger Women’s Hybrid Bike. A popular women’s bike with a classic step-through frame geometry that’s easier to mount and dismount, the Trek FX 2 Disc Stagger Women’s Hybrid bike is ideal for commuting, leisure riding or even taking on the train with you. Commuting by bike is an easy way to avoid traffic and save money on parking fees and this is an excellent choice to make your commute in style.
- 2021 Merida Crossway 40 Women’s Hybrid Bike. Merida hybrid bikes are designed to feature a lightweight aluminium frame that is great for comfort and practicality. This is a great choice for leisure rides or commuting and you can add mudguards, racks and kickstands to create the best version of this hybrid bike for you and your lifestyle.
- 2021 Merida Speeder 300 Hybrid Bike. We love this Merida model which offers the best of both worlds, with a sporty design and a more upright seating position that gives a comfortable but fast ride. It’s based on the technology of Merida’s road bikes, with flat bars and powerful hydraulic disc brakes, so it’s perfect for commuting, and you can change to wider tyres for more versatile rides.
- 2022 Electra Loft 7D Women’s Step-Thru Hybrid Bike. This eye-catching bike combines sleek style and riding pleasure to create a lightweight option that’s perfect for commuting and can be customised with a front basket, bell and cup holder for ultimate convenience. It’s a comfortable, durable design that is ideal for street riding and it comes in several stunning colours so that you can create a combination that’s as unique as you are.
- 2022 Cube Nature Hybrid Bike. Getting out on your bike is all about having the freedom to explore the local area, and when your bike is designed for town and trail riding, you’ll have all the freedom you need. With excellent suspension and a great 3×8 gear system, you can make the most of cycling with this sleek hybrid, and it can be upgraded and customised to suit your needs with options such as a luggage carrier and mudguard available and easy to fit.
- Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro Electric Mountain Bike 625. Combining electric technology with a neat, comfortable frame, this electric hybrid bike is designed with a powerful Bosch CX motor that can enhance your riding experience and put the power into your pedals. Talk to us about electric hybrids and transform the way you ride. We should warn you that cycling is addictive…
- 2022 Cube Supreme Sport Hybrid Pro 500 Electric Hybrid Bike. This Electric hybrid is a game changer, ready for you to add the accessories you need to fully customise it for the best riding experience. The easy-shifting Shimano 10-speed gears give you a wide range that can make any route easier to handle, and the smooth power provided by the Bosch third-generation motor is perfect for that extra boost. We love the continental tyres, making slowing and stopping safe in any weather, and the excellent suspension gives you the smooth ride you’ve been looking for.
- Trek Allant 8+ Stagger Electric Hybrid Bike. If you’re looking for a high-performance model that is capable of delivering a great ride, you’ll love this electric hybrid and its sleek design. The stylish Trek frame is complemented by the reliable Bosch pedal-assist system, which will make light work of commuting and leisure rides.
- Cube Kathmandu Hybrid One 625 Electric Bike. This electric blue model is designed for comfort and durability, and it’s an excellent versatile option for leisure cycling or commuting. The high-capacity Bosch motor gives you a great range and you can accessorise with everything you need to make this bike a useful companion for life. The blue frame is eye-catching and well designed and there are other colours and styles to choose from.
Find Hybrid Bikes and Cycling Accessories in Ireland
Ireland is the perfect location for cycling and if you are a beginner cyclist, you can talk to us about getting started in your local area. We’ll be happy to help you find the bike that suits you best, and you can explore all the options to find a versatile and comfortable bike you’ll love. Whether you’re hoping to save money on parking, get fitter on your commute to work or enjoy some fresh air with weekend trail rides, we have some great solutions for you to choose from.
You can pick up your new bicycle and all the cycling accessories you need at The Edge, and we’re here to share our expertise and show you the best options for you and your lifestyle. Pop in and see us or visit our website to find out more about hybrid bikes, electric bikes, mountain bikes and more.